Folk Dance Links
Compiled by Dick Oakes
CLICK AN IMAGE TO ENLARGE
For my friends and visitors, here are a few links for your enjoyment! If you know of others, let me know. Cheers, Dick Oakes.
- United States Camps and Workshops See the National Folk Organization's Camps and Workshops page for United States Listings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Gennetines: Les Grands Bals de l'Europe On ten dance floors you will be able to discover, dance, learn, or practice many dances of Europe. There may be between 50 and 300 participants in a workshop. Everyone will have their own approach, background, priorities and dreams; everyone should be able to find an appropriate level at which to participate.
- Macedonian Pearl Folk Seminar This seminar is held in Struga on the shores of Lake Ohrid in July under the direction of Goran Alacki, master accordionist, and Ljupco Manevski, dance director of Tanec. There are beginning and advanced levels of Macedonian dance and a special choreography class for advanced students. In music, there are teachers of accordion, kaval, gaida, zurla, tapan, darbouka, and clarinet. In addition, there are nightly dance parties, classes in Macedonian language, daily lectures on the costumes, culture,history, and handcrafts of Macedonia. Plus, there is a boat trip with music and singing to see the ancient church of Sveta Naum. Accommodations are in the Hotel Biser at Struga and all dance classes are held in a studio with a wood floor.
Colorado International Clubs
- Boulder International Folk Dancers Boulder
- Denver International Folk Dancers Denver
- Denver International Folk Dancers (Test Dance Place) Denver
- Empire Grange International Folk Dancing Fort Collins
- Folk Dancing in Washington Park Denver
- Folk Dancing in the Mountains Nederland
- Folk Dancing on the Plaza Boulder
- Maple Grove Folk Dancers Wheat Ridge
- Avalon Ballroom Boulder
- Boulder Contra Boulder
- Boulder Israeli Dance Boulder
- Boulder Scandinavian Dancers Boulder
- Buena Vista Community Dance Buena Vista
- Calico & Boots Traditional American Dancing Lafayette
- Colorado Celtic Dancing Denver
- Colorado Contra Dancing Denver
- Colorado Friends of Old Time Music and Dance Denver
- Colorado Square Dance Association Denver
- Colorado School of Mines Contra Dance Club Golden
- Colorado School of Mines Contra Dance Club Golden
- Denver Contra Denver
- Denver English Country Dance Denver
- Durango Contra Dances Durango
- Colorado Welsh Society Denver
- Dance . . . Chris Kermiet Denver
- Fifth Reel Music and Dance Grand Junction
- Fifth Saturday Scandinavian Bygdedans Boulder
- Friends of Traditional Dance Fort Collins
- Glenwood Springs Contra Glenwood Springs
- Grand Valley Community Contra Grand Junction
- International Dance Club Colorado Springs
- Koshare Indian Dancers La Junta
- Little London Assembly (English Country) Colorado Springs
- Lloyd Shaw Foundation Colorado Springs
- Maroon Bells Morris Dancers Boulder
- Monday Scandinavian Dancing Boulder
- Old Time Barn Dance Fort Collins
- Pikes Peak Scottish Country Dancers Colorado Springs
- Pikes Peak Traditional Dance Colorado Springs
- Rocky Mountain Swing Dance Club Denver
- Salida Community Dance Salida
- Scottish Country Dancers of Colorado Boulder
- Sons of Norway Colorado Springs
- Waltz Night Boulder
- Waltz Night Denver
- Waltz Night Fort Collins
- Westminster Old Time Barn Dance Westminster
- Zesty! Contra Denver
Dance Notes / Notations / Instructions / Descriptions
- American Indian's Dance Notes Julia Buttree describes many American Indian dances.
- Badger Sett Collection of Scottish Country Dances Ian Brockbank has nearly 50 dances here.
- BYU Folk Dancers Brigham Young University's folk dance notes.
- Contra Dance List (Cambridge has some 225 contra dances, all notated.)
- Contra Dances Rosemary Slacks has nearly 35 contra international dances on her site.
- Dance Notes Andy Bettis has some 60 descriptions in HTML format.
- Dick Oakes Dance Notes Dick Oakes has some 200 descriptions in HTML format.
- Evansville International Folk Dancers Nearly 400 dance notes in PDF format.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. (North) The Federation (North) has several folk dance notes available.
- Folk Dance Descriptions Dick Oakes has over 200 folk dance descriptions in HTML.
- Folkdance Notes Andrew Carnie has at least 50 descriptions in Adobe Acrobat .PDF format.
- Folk Dance Notes Tom Deering has nearly 40 dances, a few in text format, most in WordPerfect format.
- Folk Dance Notes (and more) Bob Shapiro has links to nearly 1500 dance notes.
- Folk Dance Page Andy Pollock has over a dozen folk dances described.
- folkdancing.com There are 28 Scandinavian dances notated here, plus an Explanation of Dance Holds and a Glossary of Terms.
- Grand Chain - Ceilidh About 20 Ceilidh dances notes are listed here.
- Grand Chain - Scottish About 20 Scottish dances notes are listed here.
- Greek Dances A selection of twelve dances.
- Highland and Scottish Step Dance Instructions Ian Brockbank has more than 60 Scottish dances here.
- Hugo's Folk Dance Resources Hugo Moule's page of dance notes.
- Irish and Scottish Dance Descriptions Scott MacHaffy has notated a dozen dances.
- Israeli Dances No dances described but lists of Israeli dances, choreographers, etc.
- Live Circle Dance Brian Steere's list of dances.
- Miami Valley Dance Notes Miami Falley Folk Dancers' list of dance notes.
- Northern Junket Folk Dances Folk dance notes as appearing in Northern Junket.
- Palmer's Pocket Playford More than 50 dances by William Palmer from the Playfore Ball programmes.
- The Morris Book, Part 1 By Cecil J. Sharp. Eleven dances in this book.
- SetDance.com Brooks Academy has almost 20 Irish dance sets are notated here.
- Pluck and Squeeze Welsh Dances There are 10 dances here from Wales.
- Ralph Page's Dance Notes Dance notes from Ralph Page's collection.
- Rich Duree's Dance Notes 18 of Richard Duree's dance notes are here.
- Stockton Folk Dance Camp Syllabi 1948 to Present (PDF format with a link on the left.)
- Strathspey Server The Server links to dance description collections.
- Thrir Venstri Foetr Dance List More than 60 English Country Dances are notated here.
- Tom Deering's Dance Notes Tom Deering list of a lot of dance notes.
- Vitrifolk Descriptions de danses Vitrifolk has many, many dance notes available--but all are in French.
- Helen Winkler's Dance Descriptions Helen Winkler has about 10 Jewish dances.
Events & Festivals
- California Statewide Festival Hosted by the Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. and the Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. Each federation holds the festival on alternating years.
- California Kolo Festival, Inc. San Francisco, California. Features the best in Kolo performances from the Bay Area and from afar.
- Lithuanian Folk Dance Festival Since 1957, Lithuanian folk dance ensembles from around the globe have gathered approximately every four years in Los Angeles, California.
- Greek Festival The annual festival of The Assumption of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Metropolis Cathedral of Denver, Colorado.
- Greek Festival The annual festival of Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church of Boulder, Colorado.
- Laguna Folk Dance Festival dance workshops with master teachers, dance parties with both live and recorded music, performances, and lots of great food!
- MadShoe Weekends Jim Gold's weekends offer "the healing power of a good dance, a good word, a good shoe, and a good laugh."
- San Antonio Folk Dance Festival This is the Big One! Held yearly in San Antonio, Texas.
- Metronome for Macintosh computers Doggiebox beat sequencer for Macintosh OS X.
- Metronome for Windows computers Weird Metronome for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, or XP.
Music, Stores, and Bazaars
- Balkan Bazaar Suze Stentz, Chapel Hill, North Carolina. A "moving" shop that attends folk dance weekends, camps, and festivals with authentic music, traditional dress and costumes, Cyrillic T-shirts, opanci, books, accessories, jewelry, gifts, and gently pre-owned clothing.
- Best of NAMA CD David Owens, Ann Arbor, Michigan. David was the director of NAMA.
- Dvorana Authentic replicas of Czech folk dance costumes.
- Ethnic Connection CD David Owens [Director], Ann Arbor, Michigan. David was the director of NAMA.
- Festival Records The ultimate record source!
- Folkdance Music Music for over 2600 folk dances from all over the world, many with links to dance notes, such as those on this site!
- Folklore Discography Hundreds of record albums and CDs by region, label, tracks, or artist. Very well done!
- Romanian Folk Costumes Costumes and other items offered by Dan Baciu of X Trade 2000 s.r.l.
- Surma Ukrainian Shop Costume pieces, books, videos, CDs, cassettes, carved wood pieces, more.
Musicians & Bands
- Balkanarama List A list of Balkan bands outside the Balkans maintained by Mike Gordon.
- Balkanarama A balkan band led by Mike Gordon.
- Balkanarama A Seattle band that plays Balkan party music for their village and beyond and maintains a directory of Balkan bands around the world add yours!
- Balkan Cabaret Formed in 2001 as a collaboration between vocalist Mary Sherhart and the accomplished folk dance band, Nišava, this band hails from Seattle.
- Chookasian Armenian Concert Ensemble A Fresno orchestra that brings you the ancient world of beautiful traditional Armenian music and culture.
- Drita Albanian Folk Orchestra Drita, "the light," was founded in 1982 by Ian Price to present the extraordinary traditional music of Albania to American audiences.
- Ethnic Connection (David Owens [Director], Ann Arbor, Michigan. A really fantastic group. David was the director of NAMA.)
- International Folk Sounds A Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based international folk dance band that plays music from Bolivia to the Balkans.
- John Bilezikjian John Bilezikjian, from Laguna Hills, Califonria is "America's Oud Virtuoso" and may be the most prominent Oudist of his generation.
- Lyuti Chushki Spicy traditional Bulgarian music managed by Larry Weiner with lead vocalist Tzvety Dosseva Weiner.
- Sherefe (Pronounced sher-eh-FAY) A group of musicians from the Denver-Boulder area who play music from the Balkans other Eastern European countries.
- Tom Bozigian Middle Eastern Orchestra Tom Bozigian leads a folklore orchestra which has produced numerous recordings.
- Colorado Round Dance Association Greeley, Colorado.
- Country Dance & Song Society Traditional and participatory dance, music and song, especially those with roots in English and North American culture.
- dcfolkdance.com Folk, Ballroom, and Native American dance in and around the Washington, DC area.
- Earth Cultures Project A project of Educational Communications.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago (EDC) Exercise your body and your mind and celebrate America's ethnic heritage in dance and music in and around Chicago, Illinois.
- Florida Folk Dance Council Organized by folk dancers, for folk dancers, to get more folk dancing.
- Folk Arts Center of New England A non-profit corporation whose purpose is to further knowledge, performance, and recreational enjoyment of international folk dance.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. (North) The Northern California's folk dance federation with a list of places to dance in Northern California and an ever-increasing number of dance notations available for free.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. (North) The Southern California's folk dance federation with a list of places to dance in Southern California as well as publications, contacts, history, forms, and a calendar.
- Folk Dance New Zealand Organized by folk dancers, for folk dancers, to get more folk dancing.
- International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts (CIOFF) CIOFF is an Official Partner of UNESCO, accredited to the UNESCO ICH Committee. Created in 1970, the duty of CIOFF is safeguarding, promotion and diffusion of traditional culture and folklore.
- International Folk Dance Association of University City (IFDA) An organization serving the greater St. Louis area.
- National Folk Organization U.S.A. Serving the entire United States with insurance for member groups.
- Northwest Folkdancers Inc. (NFDI) Covering the northwestern United States, including Alaska, NFDI is a non-profit organization devoted to encouraging and promoting folk dancing.
- Ontario Folk Dance Assocation A non-profit organization interested in the traditional music and dances of the world.
- Polish Folk Dance Association of the Americas Polish
- Polanie Polish Song & Dance Association Polish - Calgary, Alberta
- Recreational Folk Dancers of Columbus Dedicated to the preservation, study, teaching, enjoyment and continuing evolution of recreational folk dance in Central Ohio.
- Seven Day Guide to folk, social and traditional dancing in and around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Serbian Cultural Association Oplenac Serbian - Mississauga (Toronto area), Ontario
- Society for International Folk Dancing A United Kingdom-based, voluntary, non-profit-making, non-political association that aims to encourage people to learn and enjoy the folk dances from many countries.
- St. Louis Folk Dance Association of University City Incorporated in 1964 and serving the greater St. Louis area.
- Texas International Folk Dancers A non-profit educational organization that supports folk dancing and related folk arts in Texas and surrounding states.
- DJPower Optional video beat mixing interface with 52 video transitions and a host of other features for DJs. Program only.
- Folkdance Jukebox This is a laptop computer from Dick Killian with a software program that allows you to program all of your folkdance music.
- MITPlayer This software by Neil Rosen was originally written for the MIT Folk Dance Club. Program only.
- Winamp Folk Dance Player The Winamp Modern Folk Dance Skin has been modified from the standard Winamp Modern Skin to make it easier to use. Program only.
Performing Groups Canada
- Academy of Serbian Folk Dancing Serbian - Toronto, Ontario.
- Amythest Scottish Dancers of Nova Scotia Scottish - Nova Scotia.
- Biały Orzeł Polish - Toronto, Ontario.
- Bokréta Hungarian Folkdance Ensemble Hungarian - Montréal, Quebec.
- Cheremosh Ukrainian Dance Company Ukrainian - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Cracovia Dance Ensemble Polish - Brampton, Ontario.
- Cracovia Dance Ensemble Polish - London, Ontario.
- Dovbush Dancers Ukrainian - Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Forrás Hungarian Folkdance Ensemble Hungarian - Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Hoosli Ukrainian Folk Ensemble Ukrainian - Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Karpat Hungarian Folk Dancers Hungarian - Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Kyiv Ukrainian Dance Ensemble and School Ukrainian - Carnegie, Pennsylvania.
- Kyklos Hellenic Performing and Literary Arts Group Greek - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Kujawiacy Polish Song & Dance Ensemble Polish - Kitchener, Ontario.
- Lechowia Polish Canadian Dance Company Polish - Toronto, Ontario.
- Łowicz Polish Folklore Ensemble Polish - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Mazur Polish Canadian Dancers Polish - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Melos Folk Ensemble Ukrainian - Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Oberek Polish Canadian Children's Dance Society Polish - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Podhale Folk Dance Company Polish - Montreal, Quebec.
- Polanie Dance Group Polish - Ottawa, Ontario.
- Polonez Polish Folk Arts Ensemble Polish - Edmonton, Alberta.
- Polonez Polish Canadian Folk Dance Ensemble Polish - Hamilton, Ontario.
- Pomorze Polish Dance Ensemble Polish - Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Sokół Polish Folk Ensemble Polish - Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- S.P.K. Iskry Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish - Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Stella Polonia Polish Folk and Dance Ensemble Polish - Toronto, Ontario.
- Swarni Dance Ensemble Polish - Mississuga, Ontario.
- Tatry Polish Folklore Ensemble Polish - Montreal, Quebec.
- Tatry Song and Dance Ensemble Polish - Windsor, Ontario.
- Tryzub Ukrainian Dance Ensemble Ukrainian - Calgary, Alberta.
- Ukrainian Dance Groups in Canada (Ukrainian Dance Virtual Information Resource Service.
- Ukrainian Dunai Dancers Ukrainian - St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Ukrainian Shumka Dancers Ukrainian - Edmonton, Alberta.
- White Eagle Folk Dance Academy
Performing Groups Colorado
- Boulder Scandinavian Dancers Scandinavian - Boulder, Colorado.
- Calico and Boots American Folk Dancers American Square - Boulder, Colorado.
- City of Denver Pipe Band Scottish - Denver, Colorado.
- Colorado Rocky Mountain Dancers This group has performed at many National Square Dance Conventions and many other local, regional and national venues; in 2004 the group represented the United States at three international festivals in the Ukraine.
- Hora Romaneasca Romanian - Boulder, Colorado.
- Montana Folk Dance A gateway to sites maintained independently by each of the separate Montana groups, as well as an information center for inter-group activities.
- Israeli Folk Dancing in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland Programs and outlook for Israeli folk dancing in central Europe..
- Northwest Folk Dancers Inc. NFDI is the "Where to Folk Dance" organization for the Pacific Northwest.
- One World Folk Dancers International - Denver, Colorado.
- Postoley Dance Ensemble Ukrainian and Polish - Boulder, Colorado.
- Scottish Country Dancers of Colorado Scottish - Front Range, Colorado.
- Storm Mountain Folk Dancers International - Fort Collins, Colorado.
Performing Groups United States
- Alpine Dancers & Singers Alpine - New Carrollton, Maryland.
- Aratás Ensemble Turkish - Portland, Oregon.
- Aska Kolo Ansambl Serbian, Sacramento, California.
- Balkana Dance Ensemble Bulgarian - Seattle, Washington.
- Ballet Folklorico Viva Panama Panamanian - Long Beach, California.
- Barynya Russian Music, Dance and Song Ensemble Russian - New York City, New York.
- Bashkimi Dance Group Albanian - Boston, Massachusetts.
- Belozer'e (Russian Soul) Russian - Twin Cities, Minnesota.
- Bosilek Bulgarian Folk Dance Ensemble Bulgarian - New York, New York.
- Carpathia Folk Dance Ensemble Eastern Europe - Washington, DC.
- Claddagh Dance Company Irish - Ventura, California.
- Collage Dance Ensemble European - Boston, Massachusetts.
- Csárdás Dance Company (Hungarian - Cleveland, Ohio)
- Csűrdöngölő Folk Ensemble Hungarian - New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Dancing Crane Georgian Dance Theater Georgian - Warwick, New York.
- Dolina Polish Folk Dancers Polish - Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Duquesne University Tamburitzans International - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Eastern Arts Mid-Eastern - Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Esterlánc Magyar Népi Együttes Hungarian - Bay Area, California.
- Ethnic Dance Theatre International - Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Eszterlánc Hungarian Folk Ensemble Hungarian - Hayward, California.
- Glinka Russian Folk Ensemble (Russian - Garfield, New Jersey)
- Górale Dancers Polish - Orange County, California.
- G.T.E.V. D'Oberlandler Bavarian - Huntington Beach, California.
- Gulistan Dance Theater Mid-Eastern - Los Angeles, California.
- Gypsy Folk Ensemble International - Los Angeles, California.
- Horo Bulgarian Dance Ensemble Bulgarian - Chicago, Illinois.
- International Folk Dance Ensemble International - Provo, Utah.
- Ivan Dimitrov Ensemble Russian - Washington, DC.
- Janosik Polish Dancers Polish - North Wales, Pennsylvania.
- Jawaahir Dance Company Mid-Eastern - Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Kardelen Turkish Dance Ensemble Turkish - Washington, DC.
- Kárpátok Hungarian Folk Ensemble Hungarian - Los Angeles, California.
- Kazka Ukrainian Folk Ensemble Ukrainian - Lehighton, Pennsylvania.
- Krakusy Polish Folk Ensemble Polish - Los Angeles, California.
- Kupalo Ukrainian Dance Ensemble Ukrainian - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Lira Ensemble Polish - Chicago, Illinois.
- Łowiczanie Polish Dance Folk Ensemble Polish - San Francisco, California.
- The Monique Legaré International Folk Dance Company International - Willow Grove, Pennsylvnia.
- New Archangel Dancers Russia - Sitka, Alaska.
- Neris Lithuanian Dance Group Lithuanian - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Northern Michigan University International Dancers Internaitional - Marquette, Michigan.
- Nova Nada Croatian Folklore Ensemble Croatian - Detroit, Michigan.
- Performing Folk Dancers of Balboa Park International -- San Diego, California.
- Polish American Folk Dance Company Polish - New York, New York.
- Polonia Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish - Chicago, Illinois.
- Pommersche Tanzdeel Freistadt German - Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Pride of Erin Ceili Dancers Irish - San Diego, California.
- Slavjane Folk Ensemble Slavic - Aliquippa, Pennsylvania.
- Spindulys Lithuanian Folk-Dane Ensemble Lithuanian - Los Angeles, California.
- Šumadija Serbian Folk Dance Ensemble Serbian - Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- St. Paul Czech and SLovak Folk Dancers Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovakian - St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Syrena Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish - Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Syrtaki Folk Dance Ensemble Greek - Orange County, California.
- Tisza Ensemble Hungarian - Kensington, Maryland.
- Troup Ta'amulat N.W. Africa into Central Asia - Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- UCSB Middle East Ensemble Mid-Eastern - Santa Barbara, California.
- Ukrainian Dance Groups in the USA Courtesy of Ukrainian Dance Virtual Information Resource Service.
- Veselica Slovak Folk Ensemble Slovak - Chicago, Illinois.
- Westwind International Folk Ensemble International - Martinez, California.
- Wianek Dance Troup Polish - Middle Village, New York.
- William Penn Association Magyar Folk Dancers Hungarian - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- World Dance Theatre International - New York City, New York.
- Zharava Bulgarian Folk Dance Ensemble Bulgarian - Washington, DC.
- Živili Southern Slavic - Ganville, Ohio.
Performing Groups Worldwide
- Balaton Hungarian Folk Dance Group Hungarian - London, England.
- Beskedy Dancers Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovakian - London, England.
- Escola de Ball de Bot Calabruix Spanish - Majorca, Spain.
- Greek Folk Dancers of N.S.W. Greek - Sydney, Australia.
- Gyöngyösbokréta Folkloric Association Hungarian - Evatt, Australia.
- Harmanfolk İstanbul Turkish - İstanbul, Turkey.
- Iberian Folk Dancers Iberian, etc. - London, England.
- Karolinka Polish Folk Song and Dance Company Polish - London, England.
- Kengugró Australian-Hungarian Folklore Ensemble Hungarian - Sydney, Australia.
- Kilikia Dances for Armenia Armenian - Nottingham, England.
- Lokkala's Sabrang Group of Rajasthan Indian - Jodhpur, India.
- Mùrţişorul Romanian Dance Group Romanian - London, England.
- Mazury Dance Company Polish - London, England.
- Orlęta Polish Folk Song and Dance Group Polish - London, England.
- Philhellenes Greek Dancers Greek - London, England.
- Queensland Colonial and Heritage Dancers Colonial - Yeronga, Australia.
- Roztiazhka Ukrainian Cossack Dancers Ukrainian - Perth, Australia.
- Szolnok Folk Dance Group Hungarian - Szolnok, Hungary.
- Tatry Polish Folkloric Ensemble Polish - Adelaide, Australia.
- Tatry Polish Song and Dance Group Polish - London, England.
- Żywiec Polish Folk Song and Dance Group Polish - London, England.
Singers & Singing Groups
- Chubritza Arcata, California. The band plays a variety and mixture of international musical tastes and textures, while retaining a Balkan and Eastern European emphasis.
- Divi Zheni Divi Zheni performs "unusual songs of love and longing and of war and peace.
- Kitka A professional women's vocal ensemble dedicated to producing concerts, recordings, and educational programs of Eastern Europe.
- Mary Sherhart Teacher and performer of traditional Balkan voice music.
- Mila Vocal Ensemble Mila Vocal Ensemble sings a melodic evening traversing from the steppes of Russia to the mountain tops of Bulgaria.
- Nevenka A Los Angeles, California, women's folk chorus performing songs from Eastern Europe.
- Orfeia Orfeia is dedicated to preserving and promoting the traditional women's music of Eastern Europe.
- Planina A group of eight to fourteen singers from the Denver-Boulder area who perform the haunting and beautiful songs of Eastern Europe.
- Podruzhki Their songs are about courtship, marriage, rites of passage, and boasting of hometown charms.
- Rogue World Ensemble The group believes sharing the musical traditions of our world brings forth the potential for transformation, connection, and peace.
- Slaveya A women’s vocal ensemble specializing in East European a cappella folk music.
- Yale Slavic Chorus The chorus performs traditional folk songs from Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
Tours & Cruises
Anatours Study Tours in Turkey
Melissa Miller and Dr. Rashid Ergener have together been conducting AnaTours Study Tours in Turkey since 1990. They invite you on a journey to the land of the Great Goddess. Typically, you'll travel through Anatolia, the cradle of numerous civilizations, and of early matrifocal societies, and see Çatal Höyök where the Great Goddess made her first appearance in 6500 BCE. Also see Ephesus and Aphrodisias, Ankara, Troy, and İstanbul.
< info (at) anatours (dot) com >
Tineke van Geel's Armenian Holiday specializes in tours to Armenia. On the tours she attaches great importance to a pleasant balance of travel time, sightseeing, relaxation, and getting to know the real Armenia by using the many contacts she has developed through the years. Tineke speaks Armenian fluently.
Tineke van Geel
8383 EH NIJENSLEEK
Tel and Fax: +31-521-380382
< tineke (at) armeniaholiday (dot) com >
Nancy Bolt is the State Librarian for Colorado. Nancy, along with Alex Palichev and Iskra Mahailovam, are the sponsors of Balkan Connections, which specializes in trips to Bulgaria, a country called the "undiscovered gem of Europe" because of its beauty and cultural history dating back 7,000 years. All trips include visits to ancient Neolithic and Thracian sites as well as Roman, Greek, and Turkish cultural heritage. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is tasty, and the shopping terrific. Balkan Connections trips include personal attention and are small enough to add new adventures when the opportunity arises.
Nancy Bolt, Colorado State Librarian
201 East Colfax, Denver, Colorado 80203
303 866 6733 phone
303 866 6940 fax
< nancybolt (at) earthlink (dot) net >
Balkan Folklore Study Tours
Delores Crawford offers tours that are mainly about villages, the architecture which changes from the mountain areas to the plains, the farmers and herders, the craftsmen who still carve wood, make pots, weave textiles, embroider clothing, and especially the people who still enjoy making music, dancing, and celebrating their customs.
11065 Collinwood Dr.
Santee, CA 92071-3106
Tel: (619) 562-5948
< delcraw4d (at) aol (dot) com >
Bulgarian Summer Tours
Iliana Bozhanova has organized tours in Bulgaria for her friends during the summer to the Koprivštica Folk Festival as well as to Sofia, Plovdiv, Kalipetrovo, Voivodinovo, Varna, Veliko Târnivo, Arbanasi, Kazanlak, Shipka, and Sheravana. Check out her website page for this year's tours.
Bulgarian Summer Tours
c/o Iliana Bozhanova
str. "Asen Hristoforov" 2 ap.63
4004 Plovdiv, BULGARIA
< iliana33 (at) hotmail (dot) com >
Cultural Folk Tours Bora Özkök offers tours to Turkey on which will take you to see the Ottoman Military Band in Istanbul, the spiritual Whirling Dervish ceremony in Cappadocia, native folk dancing, a live gypsy orchestra, and much more.
9920 Scripps Lake Dr., Suite 105
San Diego, CA 92131
Tel: (800) 935-8875 or (858) 566-5951
< tourinfo (at) boraozkok (dot) com >
Tineke Van Geel's Tours
Tineke van Geel has been a folklore dance teacher since 1975 and has studied dance in Armenia. Since 1997 she has organized tours to Armenia, Bali, Great Britain, The Netherlands, and Switzerland.
Tineke van Geel
8383 EH NIJENSLEEK
Tel and Fax: +31-521-380382
< info (at) tinekevangeel (dot) nl >
Dance on the Water Cruises
David & Marija Hillis offer one or more cruises a year for dancers that include evening folk dance sessions and sometimes with afternoon folk dance classes by teachers such as Eser Ayanolgu, Roberto Bagnoli, Irvin and Beverly Barr, Jimmy Drury, Richard Duree, Al Gladstone, Denise Heenan, Ercüment Kılıç, Dean and Nancy Linscott, Mars & Sanna Longdon, Dick Oakes, Lee Otterholt, Pat and Hugo Presnall, Mikki Revenaugh, Olga Sandolowich, Burt Scholin, Sheila Sharpe, Alex and Edie Spear, Sandy Starkman, and Marianne Taylor. Some cruises have lectures by professional naturalists, professors, historians, oceanographers, geologists, and anthropologists, as well as dancing with native groups and local folk dance groups in port. Of course, there's always the cruise food that is worth going for in the first place! Destinations have included Alaska and Galapagos / Ecuador.
David and Marija Hillis
2147 Parker St.
Berkeley, CA 94704-2719
Tel: (510) 459-0092
Fax: (510) 581-5026
< folkdanceonthewater (at) gmail (dot) com >
Folklore Treasures of Serbia
Cheryl Spasojevic leads a two-week tour of adventure in August to the heart of Serbia that includes a three-day folk dance camp, folk festivals, music, ethnographics, folk art, village museums, traditional crafts, village life, celebrations, monasteries, and historical sites.
Folklore Treasures of Serbia
17626 68th Ave. West
Edmonds, WA 98026-5636
After March 2:
34240 Z.P. Knic
< cspaso (at) eunet (dot) yu >
Tayaar Akdeniz, choreographer, performer, musician, and teacher, was born in Kars, Turkey, and raised in Ankara where he began performing as a child, touring with Romany (Gypsy) ensembles. Tayyar learned, performed, and taught hundreds of Turkish folk dances for National folk dance associations in Turkey. His fifth hat is that as a promoter, which he does through Folktours, a corporation that offers educational and entertaining music and dance events in the United States and in Turkey. Their goal is to use music and dance to build bridges between countries and cultures. They want to educate, enlighten and inspire students of all ages, genders, creeds, and ethnic backgrounds. They also provide tours of Turkey with a special emphasis on seeing the sights, learning the history, and experiencing the culture.
M.E.D. Folk Tours Inc.
45-54 39th Place Suite 2 C
Sunnyside, NY 11104
< info (at) folktours (dot) com >
Tel: (301) 565-8891 Ext. 3
Jim Gold Folk Tours
Jim Gold brings his love of people, music, languages, humor, literature, old cultures, and new discoveries to his tours to Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Czech Republic, Sicily, Israel, Slovakia, and Tunisia. You'll enjoy his small groups, personal attention, visits to villages, festivals, museums, concerts, and folkloric performances. You'll meet people, and dance, sing, dine, and converse with them. And, as you explore their history, art and culture, your perspective will expand.
Jim Gold Folk Tours
497 Cumberland Ave.
Teaneck, NJ 07666-2650
Tel: (201) 836-0362
Fax: (201) 836-8307
< jimgold (at) jimgold (dot) com >
Turkish Mystic Cultural Tours
Latif Bolat knows that the Middle East (and especially Turkey) has been the cradle of many wonderful civilizations over the past the thousand years. From Urartus to Hittites, from Lydians to Ottomans, the land of Anatolia has been hosting wonderful treasures and they are waiting to be discovered. In his tours, Latif gives you a little taste of each culture by visiting monuments, cities, and places that once hosted very elaborate societies.
Turkish Mystic Cultural Tours
28 Camino Tetzcoco
Santa Fe, NM 87508-8913
Tel: (505) 995-1904
< lbolat (at) aol (dot) com >
- Bekalut Israeli Folk Dance Videos A whole lot of 'em!
- Digital Video Research Archive of Morris, Sword, and Clog Dancing Boston University. English and American performances from 1975 to the present.
- Dunav Folk Dance Videos Folk dance videos danced by Dunav.
- Folkdance Music Many videos!
- Rikudim Videos Many Israeli folk dance videos.
- YouTube Folk Dance Videos Maybe not all, but a bunch!
Other Folk Dance Links
- Animated Folk Dance GIFs Naohisa Hamada [MARUCHO] has created dozens of absolutely amazing animated folk dancers, one of which is shown above!
- Albuquerque International Folk Dance Foundation Albuquerque, New Mexico; A folk dance group that meets weekly on Saturday nights.
- Art Kitchen Los Angeles, California. Leonard Ellis' website of serving a sumptuous smorgasbord of music, painting, poetry, dance, storytelling, animation, quotes, and humor.
- Balkanfolk Sofia, Bulgaria; Workshops, news, performing groups, singing groups, events, shopping, and more.
- Balkan Tunes Bill Cope's website full of music information and downloads.
- Beaver Folk Dancing Beaver College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Berkeley Folk Dancers Berkeley, California.
- Bob Radcliffe's IFD Event List Robert C. Radcliffe's International Folk Dance Event List.
- Bob's Dance and Music Los Angeles area; emphasis is on Scottish, Scandinavian, American, international.
- Tom Bozigian Los Angeles area; emphasis is on Armenian dance, choreography, and dance ethnography, etc.
- Bulgarian Dance Las Vegas, Nevada. Marin Petrov's classes.
- California Traditional Music Society (CTMS) Clark Weissman's organization that features master folk dance teachers at their Summer Solstice Festival.)
- CapitolDance.com Shmuel Batzri's site that promotes Israeli folk dancing through workshops, retreats, and resource information.
- Center for Traditional Music and Dance For traditional music and dance lovers everywhere.
- Christy Lane Enterprises Source for many items related to dance.
- Claddagh Dance Company Ventura, California; Irish dance info, including classes, choreography, performances, and how you can enjoy Irish dancing.
- Country Dance New York, Inc. New York, New York; English and American folk dance in New York City.
- Dance Notation Bureau New York. Advances dance through the use of the symbol system called Labanotation.
- DanceTutor.com This site, to our knowledge, is the first full motion 30 frames per second--dance instruction site on the Internet.
- Dunav Balkan folk dance in Israel.
- East European Folklife Center A non-profit formed to educate the general public about folk music, dance, and lore in the Balkans.
- Eliznik Web Pages Several websites for Balkan folklore by Liz Mellish and Nick Green in the U.K.
- El Paso International Folk Dancers El Paso, Texas: A recreational group that meets once a month on selected Sundays.
- Helene Eriksen Helene is a teacher and choreographer of traditional dances of the Balkans and Islamic Orient.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago Celebrate America's ethnic heritage in dance and music. For adolescents, young adults, mature adults, and families.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago - Workshop Dance Teachers EDC's list of workshop folk dance teachers.
- Ethnic Express International Folkdancing Club of Las Vegas, Nevada. This group's been in existence since 1978.
- Evansville International Folk Dancers A fine site with lots of dance notes.
- Folk Dance Association In operation since 1970.
- Folk Dance Australia Includes back issues of Footnotes Magazine.
- Folkdance Music Music for over 2600 folk dances from all over the world, many with links to dance notes, such as those on this site.
- Folk Dance Resources on the Web Links to many folk dance venues around the world.
- Folk Dancers of Ottawa Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Friday Night L.I.F.E. Dancers Sherry Cochran's folk dance evening.
- Glossary of Dance Terms Jim Battisson's offering for International folk dancers, especially in Australia.
- Greek Dancing NYC Dances your favorites from all regions of Greece.
- Hugo's Folk Dancing Pages Hugo Moule's site in Canada with many easy folk dances notated.
- International Folk Dance Sarasota Sarasota, Florida: International folk dance group.
- International Folk Dancers of Cincinnati Cincinnati, Ohio: International folk dance group.
- International Folk Dancing in New Mexico Courtesy of Rick Wallace.
- Internet Archive John Clements 78rpm music collection.
- Israeli and International Dance Loui Tucker's site with special events, dance background, tips and tricks, dance writings, and more.
- Israeli Dance Australia Search for dances, translations, choreographers, singers, composers, and lyricists.
- Israeli Folk Dance with Meliss Meliss' personal site includes photos of Israeli dance choreographers.
- Izvor Music Balkan folk music, focusing primarily on Macedonian folk music in the izvorno tradition.
- John Clement's Page Invitation to Houston International Folk Dancers plus several articles of interest to folk dancers.
- Kypseli Greek Dance Center Pasadena, California. If you like Greek music, check out their CDs.
- Laguna Folk Dancers New site of an old but thriving group.
- Laguna Woods Folk-Dancers A group taught by Lee Otterholt.
- Kathy Lin's International Folk Dance Missasauga, Ontario, Canada: Much information on international folk dancing.
- Mesilla Valley International Folk Dancers Las Cruces, New Mexico: Recreational folk dancing Monday evenings on wooden floor.
- Miami Valley Folk Dancers Dayton, Ohio: International folk dance group.
- MIT Folk Dance Club Massachusetts Institute of Technology's folk dance site.
- Ottawa Contra Dance Dances feature fabulous live contra dance music and calling from the Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and New England regions.
- Phoenix International Folk Dancers Phoenix, Arizona.
- Andy Pollock's Folk Dance Page The official web site of the Phoenix International Folk Dancers.
- Princeton New Jersey Folk Dance Beginners are welcome! Old pros are venerated!
- Seattle Balkan Dancers The official web site of the Balkan Dancers of Seattle.
- Society of Folk Dance Historians Ron Houston's very informative site.
- South Bend Folk Dancers South Bend, Indiana.
- Teacher Biographies A listing of the Master Folk Dance Teachers of the U.S.A.
- Vancouver International Folk Dancers This group meets Mondays from September through April.
- Veselo Selo Folk Dancers This group meets in Anaheim, California.
- Vitrifolk 4,300 pages, 7,200 images; all in Belgian.