Folk Dance Links
Compiled by Dick Oakes
CLICK AN IMAGE TO ENLARGE
For my friends and visitors, here are a few links for your enjoyment! If you know of others, let me know. Cheers, Dick Oakes.
- United States Camps and Workshops See the National Folk Organization's Camps and Workshops page for United States Listings.
- Balkan Festivals, Workshops, and Tours Just what it says, a listing of those events.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Gennetines: Les Grands Bals de l'Europe On ten dance floors you will be able to discover, dance, learn, or practice many dances of Europe. There may be between 50 and 300 participants in a workshop. Everyone will have their own approach, background, priorities and dreams; everyone should be able to find an appropriate level at which to participate.
- Macedonian Pearl Folk Seminar This seminar is held in Struga on the shores of Lake Ohrid in July under the direction of Goran Alacki, master accordionist, and Ljupco Manevski, dance director of Tanec. There are beginning and advanced levels of Macedonian dance and a special choreography class for advanced students. In music, there are teachers of accordion, kaval, gaida, zurla, tapan, darbouka, and clarinet. In addition, there are nightly dance parties, classes in Macedonian language, daily lectures on the costumes, culture,history, and handcrafts of Macedonia. Plus, there is a boat trip with music and singing to see the ancient church of Sveta Naum. Accommodations are in the Hotel Biser at Struga and all dance classes are held in a studio with a wood floor.
COLORADO INTERNATIONAL CLUBS
- Boulder International Folk Dancers Boulder
- Denver Area Folk Dancers Denver
- Empire Grange International Folk Dancing Fort Collins
- Folk Dancing in Washington Park Denver
- Folk Dancing in the Mountains Nederland
- Folk Dancing on the Plaza Boulder
- International Folk Dancing Colorado Springs
- Maple Grove Folk Dancers Wheat Ridge
- Avalon Ballroom Boulder
- Boulder Contra Boulder
- Buena Vista Community Dance Buena Vista
- Calico & Boots Traditional American Dancing Lafayette
- Colorado Celtic Dancing Denver
- Colorado Contra Dancing Denver
- Colorado Contra, English Country, Waltz Colorado
- Colorado Friends of Old Time Music and Dance Denver
- Colorado Square Dance Association Denver
- Denver English Country Dance Denver
- Durango Contra Dances Durango
- Colorado Welsh Society Denver
- Dance . . . Chris Kermiet Denver
- Fifth Reel Music and Dance Grand Junction
- Friends of Traditional Dance Fort Collins
- Glenwood Springs Contra Glenwood Springs
- Grand Valley Community Contra Grand Junction
- International Dance Club Colorado Springs
- Koshare Indian Dancers La Junta
- Little London Assembly (English Country) Colorado Springs
- Lloyd Shaw Foundation Colorado Springs
- Maroon Bells Morris Dancers Boulder
- Old Time Barn Dance Fort Collins
- Pikes Peak Traditional Dance Colorado Springs
- Rocky Mountain Swing Dance Club Denver
- Salida Community Dance Salida
- Scottish Country Dancers of Colorado Boulder
- Sons of Norway Colorado Springs
- Waltz Night Denver
- Waltz Night Fort Collins
- Westminster Old Time Barn Dance Westminster
- Zesty! Contra Denver
DANCE NOTES / NOTATIONS / DESCRIPTIONS / DIRECTIONS / INSTRUCTIONS / CUE SHEETS / STEPSHEETS / CRIBS
- A Mind Less Ordinary Cèilidh Dances More than 25 English Cèlidh dances described here.
- American Indian Dance Notes Julia Buttree describes many American Indian dances.
- Barn Dance Repertoire Barn Dance has notes for 125 English dances.
- BetBasoo's Assyrian Folk Dances Peter Pnuel BetBasoo has 30 Assyrian dances noted.
- Bettis' Dance Notes Andy Bettis has some 60 international dance descriptions in HTML format.
- BYU Folk Dancers Dances Brigham Young University's international folk dance notes.
- Carnie's Folkdance Notes Andrew Carnie has at least 50 international dance descriptions in PDF format.
- Contra Dance List Cambridge has some 225 contra dances, all notated.
- Copper Knob Stepsheets George has more than 68,000 stepsheets of line dances on this site.
- Cordray's Dances Norwegian Dances Alix Cordray has many dance notes and videos from Norway and a few other places.
- Deering's Folk Dance Notes Tom Deering has nearly 40 balkan dances here.
- Dunav's Dance Notes Dunav has nearly 25 international dance notes here click on the footprints.
- Duree's Dance Notes Richard Duree has many international dance notes are here.
- Estienne's Country Dance Book Greg Lindahl has some 25 English dances described.
- Evansville IFD Dance Notes Nearly 400 international dance notes in PDF format.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. (North) Dance Descriptions The Federation (North) has many international folk dance notes available.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. Syllabi The Federation (South) has many international folk dance syllabi available online.
- Folk Dance Instructions Facebook has links to many international dance instructions.
- folkdancing.com There are 28 Scandinavian dances notated here, plus an Explanation of Dance Holds and a Glossary of Terms.
- Freewheeler's Contra Dancing Freewheelers describe the Hambo, Polka, and Schottische.
- Grand Chain Céilidh Dances About 20 English Cèilidh dances notes are listed here.
- Grand Chain Scottish Dances About 20 Scottish dances notes are listed here.
- Hirsh's International Teaching Notes Carol Hirsh has described over 140 international dances.
- Imber's Israeli Folk Dancing Martin Imber has about 300 israeli dances described here.
- Internet Archive English Dances Nearly 20 English dances described here.
- Irish and Scottish Dance Descriptions Scott MacHaffy has notated a dozen Scottish dances.
- Lloyd Shaw's Cue Sheets The organization has international, contra, round dance notes.
- McMonagle's Zwiefacher Patterns Patrick McMonagle has a complete list of Bavarian Zwiefacher dance patterns.
- Miami Valley FD Dance Notes Miami Falley Folk Dancers' list of international dance notes.
- Moule's Folk Dance Resources Hugo Moule's page of international dance notes.
- Northern Junket Folk Dances International folk dance notes as appearing in Northern Junket.
- Oakes' Dance Notes Dick Oakes has more than 230 international dance notes in HTML format.
- Palmer's Pocket Playford More than 50 English country dances by William Palmer from the Playfore Ball programmes.
- Pollock's Folk Dances Andy Pollock has over a dozen international folk dances described.
- Pluck and Squeeze Welsh Dances There are 10 dances here from Wales.
- Sacred Circle Dance About 490 international folk dance descriptions.
- Scottish Country Dancing Dictionary Dances Scottish dance "cribs" and instructions for some 5,000 Scottish country dances.
- SetDance.com Irish Dances Brooks Academy has almost 20 Irish dance sets are notated here.
- Shapiro's Folk Dance Notes Bob Shapiro has links to nearly 1,500 international dance notes.
- Sharp's Folk Dance Notes Cecil Sharp has more than 30 Morris and Sword dances described.
- Slack's Dances Rosemary Slacks has nearly 35 international dances on her site.
- Stockton Folk Dance Camp Syllabi 1948 to Present (International dances in PDF format with a link on the left.)
- Thrir Venstri Foetr English Country Dances More than 60 English Country Dances are notated here.
- Vitrifolk Descriptions de Danses de Français Vitrifolk has many, many international dance notes available.
- Webfeet Dance Instructions Many English Cèlidh dance links are here.
- Winkler's Yiddish Dance Descriptions Helen Winkler has about 10 Yiddish dances here.
EVENTS & FESTIVALS
- California Statewide Festival Hosted by the Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. and the Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. Each federation holds the festival on alternating years.
- California Kolo Festival, Inc. San Francisco, California. Features the best in Kolo performances from the Bay Area and from afar.
- Lithuanian Folk Dance Festival Since 1957, Lithuanian folk dance ensembles from around the globe have gathered approximately every four years in Los Angeles, California.
- Greek Festival The annual festival of The Assumption of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Metropolis Cathedral of Denver, Colorado.
- Greek Festival The annual festival of Saints Peter and Paul Greek Orthodox Church of Boulder, Colorado.
- MadShoe Weekends Jim Gold's weekends offer "the healing power of a good dance, a good word, a good shoe, and a good laugh."
- San Antonio Folk Dance Festival This is the Big One! Held yearly in San Antonio, Texas.
- Metronome for Macintosh computers Doggiebox beat sequencer for Macintosh OS X.
- Metronome for Windows computers Weird Metronome for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, or XP.
- Balkan Tunes Bill Cope's website full of music information and downloads.
- Best of NAMA CD David Owens, Ann Arbor, Michigan. David was the director of NAMA.
- Festival Records The ultimate record source!
- Folkdance Music Music for over 2600 folk dances from all over the world, many with links to dance notes, for download.
- Folklore Discography Hundreds of record albums and CDs by region, label, tracks, or artist. Very well done!
- International Folk Dance Music More than 550 mp3 files of mostly older folk dances.
- Internet Archive John Clements 78rpm music collection.
- Live Circle Dance Brian Steere's list of dance lyrics.
- Midi Files, Sheet Music, and YouTube Links Hundreds of these kinds of links by Seymour Schlien.
MUSICIANS & BANDS
- Balkanarama List A list of Balkan bands outside the Balkans maintained by Mike Gordon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Balkanarama A balkan band led by Mike Gordon.
- Balkanarama A Seattle band that plays Balkan party music for their village and beyond and maintains a directory of Balkan bands around the world add yours!
- Balkan Cabaret Formed in 2001 as a collaboration between vocalist Mary Sherhart and the accomplished folk dance band, Nišava, this band hails from Seattle.
- Tom Bozigian Middle Eastern Orchestra Tom Bozigian leads a folklore orchestra which has produced numerous recordings.
- Bratkovich Music Nick Bratkovich has a nice site. Great accordionist!
- Chookasian Armenian Concert Ensemble A Fresno orchestra that brings you the ancient world of beautiful traditional Armenian music and culture.
- Ethnic Connection (David Owens [Director], Ann Arbor, Michigan. A really fantastic group. David was the director of NAMA.)
- International Folk Sounds A Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based international folk dance band that plays music from Bolivia to the Balkans.
- John Bilezikjian John Bilezikjian, from Laguna Hills, Califonria is "America's Oud Virtuoso" and may be the most prominent Oudist of his generation.
- Lyuti Chushki Spicy traditional Bulgarian music managed by Larry Weiner with lead vocalist Tzvety Dosseva Weiner.
- Sherefe (Pronounced sher-eh-FAY) A group of musicians from the Denver-Boulder area who play music from the Balkans other Eastern European countries.
- Zagnut Orkestar! Playing all styles of Balkan and Eastern European music: Albanian, Serbian, Macedonian, Greek, Roma, Bulgarian, Klezmer.
- Colorado Round Dance Association Greeley, Colorado.
- Country Dance & Song Society Traditional and participatory dance, music and song, especially those with roots in English and North American culture.
- Earth Cultures Project A project of Educational Communications.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago (EDC) Exercise your body and your mind and celebrate America's ethnic heritage in dance and music in and around Chicago, Illinois.
- Florida Folk Dance Council Organized by folk dancers, for folk dancers, to get more folk dancing.
- Folk Arts Center of New England A non-profit corporation whose purpose is to further knowledge, performance, and recreational enjoyment of international folk dance.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc. (North) The Northern California's folk dance federation with a list of places to dance in Northern California and an ever-increasing number of dance notations available for free.
- Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc. (South) The Southern California's folk dance federation with a list of places to dance in Southern California as well as publications, contacts, history, forms, and a calendar.
- Folk Dance New Zealand Organized by folk dancers, for folk dancers, to get more folk dancing.
- International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts (CIOFF) CIOFF is an Official Partner of UNESCO, accredited to the UNESCO ICH Committee. Created in 1970, the duty of CIOFF is safeguarding, promotion and diffusion of traditional culture and folklore.
- International Folk Dance Association of University City (IFDA) An organization serving the greater St. Louis area.
- National Folk Organization U.S.A. Serving the entire United States with insurance for member groups.
- Northwest Folkdancers Inc. (NFDI) Covering the northwestern United States, including Alaska, NFDI is a non-profit organization devoted to encouraging and promoting folk dancing.
- Ontario Folk Dance Assocation A non-profit organization based in Ontario, Canada, interested in the traditional music and dances of the world.
- Polish Folk Dance Association of the Americas Polish
- Polanie Polish Song & Dance Association Polish Calgary, Alberta
- Recreational Folk Dancers of Columbus Dedicated to the preservation, study, teaching, enjoyment and continuing evolution of recreational folk dance in Central Ohio.
- Seven Day Guide to folk, social and traditional dancing in and around Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Serbian Cultural Association Oplenac Serbian Mississauga (Toronto area), Ontario
- Society for International Folk Dancing A United Kingdom-based, voluntary, non-profit-making, non-political association that aims to encourage people to learn and enjoy the folk dances from many countries.
- South Coast Folk Society A project of the Country Dance and Song Society of Coos Bay Oregon.
- St. Louis Folk Dance Association of University City Incorporated in 1964 and serving the greater St. Louis area.
- Texas International Folk Dancers A non-profit educational organization that supports folk dancing and related folk arts in Texas and surrounding states.
- Traditional Square & Contra Dance i Danmark Denmark's association of traditional square and contra dance.
PERFORMING GROUPS Canada
- Academy of Serbian Folk Dancing Serbian Toronto, Ontario.
- Amythest Scottish Dancers of Nova Scotia Scottish Nova Scotia.
- Biały Orzeł Polish Toronto, Ontario.
- Bokréta Hungarian Folkdance Ensemble Hungarian Montréal, Quebec.
- Cheremosh Ukrainian Dance Company Ukrainian Edmonton, Alberta.
- Cracovia Dance Ensemble Polish Brampton, Ontario.
- Cracovia Dance Ensemble Polish London, Ontario.
- Dovbush Dancers Ukrainian Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Forrás Hungarian Folkdance Ensemble Hungarian Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Hoosli Ukrainian Folk Ensemble Ukrainian Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Kyiv Ukrainian Dance Ensemble and School Ukrainian Carnegie, Pennsylvania.
- Kyklos Hellenic Performing and Literary Arts Group Greek Edmonton, Alberta.
- Kujawiacy Polish Song & Dance Ensemble Polish Kitchener, Ontario.
- Lechowia Polish Canadian Dance Company Polish Toronto, Ontario.
- Łowicz Polish Folklore Ensemble Polish Edmonton, Alberta.
- Mazur Polish Canadian Dancers Polish Edmonton, Alberta.
- Melos Folk Ensemble Ukrainian Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Oberek Polish Canadian Children's Dance Society Polish Edmonton, Alberta.
- Podhale Folk Dance Company Polish Montreal, Quebec.
- Polanie Dance Group Polish Ottawa, Ontario.
- Polonez Polish Folk Arts Ensemble Polish Edmonton, Alberta.
- Pomorze Polish Dance Ensemble Polish Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Sokół Polish Folk Ensemble Polish Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- S.P.K. Iskry Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Stella Polonia Polish Folk and Dance Ensemble Polish Toronto, Ontario.
- Swarni Dance Ensemble Polish Mississuga, Ontario.
- Ukrainian Dance Groups in Canada (Ukrainian Dance Virtual Information Resource Service.
- Ukrainian Dunai Dancers Ukrainian St. Catharines, Ontario.
- Ukrainian Shumka Dancers Ukrainian Edmonton, Alberta.
- White Eagle Folk Dance Academy
PERFORMING GROUPS Colorado
- Calico and Boots American Folk Dancers American Square Boulder, Colorado.
- City of Denver Pipe Band Scottish Denver, Colorado.
- Colorado Rocky Mountain Dancers This group has performed at many National Square Dance Conventions and many other local, regional and national venues; in 2004 the group represented the United States at three international festivals in the Ukraine.
- Hora Romaneasca Romanian Boulder, Colorado.
- Montana Folk Dance A gateway to sites maintained independently by each of the separate Montana groups, as well as an information center for inter-group activities.
- Israeli Folk Dancing in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland Programs and outlook for Israeli folk dancing in central Europe..
- Northwest Folk Dancers Inc. NFDI is the "Where to Folk Dance" organization for the Pacific Northwest.
- One World Folk Dancers International Denver, Colorado.
- Postoley Dance Ensemble Ukrainian and Polish Boulder, Colorado.
- Scottish Country Dancers of Colorado Scottish Front Range, Colorado.
- Storm Mountain Folk Dancers International Fort Collins, Colorado.
PERFORMING GROUPS United States
- Alpine Dancers & Singers Alpine New Carrollton, Maryland.
- Aratás Ensemble Turkish Portland, Oregon.
- Aska Kolo Ansambl Serbian, Sacramento, California.
- Balkana Dance Ensemble Bulgarian Seattle, Washington.
- Ballet Folklorico Viva Panama Panamanian Long Beach, California.
- Barynya Russian Music, Dance and Song Ensemble Russian New York City, New York.
- Bashkimi Dance Group Albanian Boston, Massachusetts.
- Belozer'e (Russian Soul) Russian Twin Cities, Minnesota.
- Bosilek Bulgarian Folk Dance Ensemble Bulgarian New York, New York.
- Carpathia Folk Dance Ensemble Eastern Europe Washington, DC.
- Claddagh Dance Company Irish Ventura, California.
- Collage Dance Ensemble European Boston, Massachusetts.
- Csárdás Dance Company (Hungarian Cleveland, Ohio)
- Csűrdöngölő Folk Ensemble Hungarian New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Dancing Crane Georgian Dance Theater Georgian Warwick, New York.
- Dolina Polish Folk Dancers Polish Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Duquesne University Tamburitzans International Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Eastern Arts Mid-Eastern Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Esterlánc Magyar Népi Együttes Hungarian Bay Area, California.
- Ethnic Dance Theatre International Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Eszterlánc Hungarian Folk Ensemble Hungarian Hayward, California.
- Glinka Russian Folk Ensemble (Russian Garfield, New Jersey)
- Górale Dancers Polish Orange County, California.
- Grachanitsa Serbian Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- G.T.E.V. D'Oberlandler Bavarian Huntington Beach, California.
- Gulistan Dance Theater Mid-Eastern Los Angeles, California.
- Gypsy Folk Ensemble International Los Angeles, California.
- Horo Bulgarian Dance Ensemble Bulgarian Chicago, Illinois.
- Ivan Dimitrov Ensemble Russian Washington, DC.
- Janosik Polish Dancers Polish North Wales, Pennsylvania.
- Jawaahir Dance Company Mid-Eastern Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Kardelen Turkish Dance Ensemble Turkish Washington, DC.
- Kárpátok Hungarian Folk Ensemble Hungarian Los Angeles, California.
- Kazka Ukrainian Folk Ensemble Ukrainian Lehighton, Pennsylvania.
- Krakusy Polish Folk Ensemble Polish Los Angeles, California.
- Łowiczanie Polish Dance Folk Ensemble Polish San Francisco, California.
- The Monique Legaré International Folk Dance Company International Willow Grove, Pennsylvnia.
- New Archangel Dancers Russia Sitka, Alaska.
- Neris Lithuanian Dance Group Lithuanian Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Northern Michigan University International Dancers International Marquette, Michigan.
- Nova Nada Croatian Folklore Ensemble Croatian Detroit, Michigan.
- Performing Folk Dancers of Balboa Park International San Diego, California.
- Polish American Folk Dance Company Polish New York, New York.
- Polonia Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish Chicago, Illinois.
- Pommersche Tanzdeel Freistadt German Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Pride of Erin Ceili Dancers Irish San Diego, California.
- Slavjane Folk Ensemble Slavic Aliquippa, Pennsylvania.
- Spindulys Lithuanian Folk-Dane Ensemble Lithuanian Los Angeles, California.
- Šumadija Serbian Folk Dance Ensemble Serbian - Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- St. Paul Czech and SLovak Folk Dancers Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovakian St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Syrena Polish Folk Dance Ensemble Polish Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Syzokryli Ukrainian New York, New York.
- Syrtaki Folk Dance Ensemble Greek Orange County, California.
- Tisza Ensemble Hungarian Kensington, Maryland.
- Troup Ta'amulat N.W. Africa into Central Asia Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- UCSB Middle East Ensemble Mid-Eastern Santa Barbara, California.
- Ukrainian Dance Groups in the USA Courtesy of Ukrainian Dance Virtual Information Resource Service.
- Veselica Slovak Folk Ensemble Slovak Chicago, Illinois.
- Westwind International Folk Ensemble International Martinez, California.
- Wianek Dance Troup Polish Middle Village, New York.
- William Penn Association Magyar Folk Dancers Hungarian Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- World Dance Theatre International New York City, New York.
- Zharava Bulgarian Folk Dance Ensemble Bulgarian Washington, DC.
- Živili Southern Slavic Ganville, Ohio.
PERFORMING GROUPS Worldwide
- Balaton Hungarian Folk Dance Group Hungarian London, England.
- Beskedy Dancers Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovakian London, England.
- Escola de Ball de Bot Calabruix Spanish Majorca, Spain.
- Greek Folk Dancers of N.S.W. Greek Sydney, Australia.
- Gyöngyösbokréta Folkloric Association Hungarian Evatt, Australia.
- Harmanfolk İstanbul Turkish İstanbul, Turkey.
- Karolinka Polish Folk Song and Dance Company Polish - London, England.
- Kengugró Australian-Hungarian Folklore Ensemble Hungarian Sydney, Australia.
- Kilikia Dances for Armenia Armenian Nottingham, England.
- Mùrţişorul Romanian Dance Group Romanian London, England.
- Mazury Dance Company Polish London, England.
- Orlęta Polish Folk Song and Dance Group Polish - London, England.
- Philhellenes Greek Dancers Greek - London, England.
- Queensland Colonial and Heritage Dancers Colonial Yeronga, Australia.
- Roztiazhka Ukrainian Cossack Dancers Ukrainian Perth, Australia.
- Szolnok Folk Dance Group Hungarian Szolnok, Hungary.
- Tatry Polish Folkloric Ensemble Polish Adelaide, Australia.
- Tatry Polish Song and Dance Group Polish London, England.
- Żywiec Polish Folk Song and Dance Group Polish London, England.
- Vitrifolk Romanian Vitrival, Belgium.
- DJPower Optional video beat mixing interface with 52 video transitions and a host of other features for DJs. Program only. Does not support diacritics.
- Folkdance Jukebox This is a laptop computer from Dick Killian with a software program that allows you to program all of your folkdance music. Does not support diacritics.
- MITPlayer This software by Neil Rosen was originally written for the MIT Folk Dance Club. Program only. Does not support diacritics.
- Winamp Folk Dance Player The Winamp Modern Folk Dance Skin has been modified from the standard Winamp Modern Skin to make it easier to use. Program only. Does not support diacritics.
- Pronouncing East European and Balkan Languages Middletown, Connecticut. Complete pronunciation guides for Albanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, and Turkish.
- Pronunciation Guides Aurora, Colorado. Simple pronunciation guides for Albanian, Austrian, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, Flemish, French, German, Greek, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Swiss, and Turkish.
- Folk Dance Scene
Folk Dance Federation of California, South, Inc., Los Angeles, California.
Square & Folk Dance Federation of Washington, Yakima, Washington.
- Let's Dance
Folk Dance Federation of California, Inc., San Jose, California.
- Folk Dancer
Ontario Folk Dance Association, Ontario, Canada.
- NFO News
National Folk Organization, Provo, Utah.
- Northwest Folkdancer
Northwest Folk Dancers Inc., Seattle, Washington.
- Report to Members
Society of Folk Dance Historians, Austin, Texas.
- Dunav Music Scores
Dunav, "the sharing place for Balkan music and dance," has many musical scores to accompany the song lyrics in Dunav Song Lyrics, Volume 1, which you can order from their web site (www.dunav.org). The scores were transcribed by Lyuben Dossov, Dean of the Department of Music Folklore, Choreogaphy and Fine Arts at the Academy of Music, Dance and Fine Arts in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, and donated to Dunav to help promote Balkan music and dance.
A database of ethnic music transcriptions and discographic data, with emphasis on Eastern Europe and the Balkans. The primary audience is musicians, but the large Balkan discography may also be useful to others, such as, singers, dancers, disc jockeys, researchers, and music lovers generally.
Nightshade Productions has released the second edition of the Pinewoods International Collection, with over 400 traditional dance tunes and songs from Bulgaria, Romania, Macedonia, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Russia, France, England, America, Canada, Israel, and other countries and cultures. The new second edition has been rearranged, redesigned and reset. In addition to all the original material, the volume now includes extensive commentary on the music, rhythm, ornamentation, tonality, improvisation, and regional performance practices, as well as song lyrics and translations.
Please visit the website to learn more.
Richard Geisler self-published 240 scores. His six tune books sold for $25.00 each through the Village & Early Music Society of Grass Valley. Now, thanks to Karen Geisler, her late husband's orginal music scores are available through the Lark in the Morning Library without charge. Mickie and Elizabeth Zekley scanned all 240 scores and dance syllabi into .PDF format. The collections are:
- THE INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION Music and lyrics to 55 favorite folk dances from Armenia, the British Isles, Yugoslavia, Bolivia, and several other countries.
- BALKANALIA Dance melodies to 40 dance melodies from Bulgaria, Servia, Romania, Greece, Macedonia, and Croatia.
- THE BULGARIAN COLLECTION Music and lyrics to 35 favorite Bulgarian folk dances.
- YUGOSLAV COLLECTION Music and lyrics to 40 folk dances from Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia.
- THE EUROPE COLLECTION Music scores for 35 folk dances and songs from Austria, Germany, France, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine.
- BRITISH ISLES & SCANDINAVIAN COLLECTION Music and scores for 35 folk dances and songs from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden.
- VILLAGE DANCE SYLLABUS Instructions for 23 dances from the book "Village Dance Music from Around the World."
An Austrian music teacher, Franz Fuchs, from Klosterneuburg, Lower Austria, keeps a huge collection of usable folk dance notes and scores on line.
SINGERS & SINGING GROUPS
- Chubritza Arcata, California. The band plays a variety and mixture of international musical tastes and textures, while retaining a Balkan and Eastern European emphasis.
- Divi Zheni Divi Zheni performs "unusual songs of love and longing and of war and peace.
- Kitka A professional women's vocal ensemble dedicated to producing concerts, recordings, and educational programs of Eastern Europe.
- Mary Sherhart Teacher and performer of traditional Balkan voice music.
- Mila Vocal Ensemble Mila Vocal Ensemble sings a melodic evening traversing from the steppes of Russia to the mountain tops of Bulgaria.
- Nevenka A Los Angeles, California, women's folk chorus performing songs from Eastern Europe.
- Planina A group of eight to fourteen singers from the Denver-Boulder area who perform the haunting and beautiful songs of Eastern Europe.
- Rogue World Ensemble The group believes sharing the musical traditions of our world brings forth the potential for transformation, connection, and peace.
- Slaveya A women’s vocal ensemble specializing in East European a cappella folk music.
- Svitanya A women's vocal ensemble specializing in Eastern European folk music.
- Yale Slavic Chorus The chorus performs traditional folk songs from Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
STORES & BAZAARS
- Balkan Bazaar Suze Stentz, Greensboro, North Carolina. A "moving" shop that attends folk dance weekends, camps, and festivals with authentic music, traditional dress and costumes, Cyrillic T-shirts, opanci, books, accessories, jewelry, gifts, and gently pre-owned clothing.
- Bulgariana Bulgarian books, instruments, music, and more.
- Festival Records The ultimate record source!
- FolkFriends A workshop and retail shop for extraordinary musical instruments in Hamburg Germany that include replicas of medieval and renaissance acoustic instruments, such as lutes, medieval bagpipes, chalumeaux and historical drums, as well as contemporary folk instruments, such as fifes, flutes, whistles, harps, irish bouzouki, bodhrans and some unique strings like geyerleier, dulcister, and guitar citterns.
- Folklore Discography Hundreds of record albums and CDs by region, label, tracks, or artist. Very well done!
- Romanian Folk Costumes Romanian blouses and costumes of Romania.
- Surma Ukrainian Shop Costume pieces, books, videos, CDs, cassettes, carved wood pieces, more.
TOURS & CRUISES
Anatours Study Tours in Turkey
Melissa Miller and Dr. Rashid Ergener have together been conducting AnaTours Study Tours in Turkey since 1990. They invite you on a journey to the land of the Great Goddess. Typically, you'll travel through Anatolia, the cradle of numerous civilizations, and of early matrifocal societies, and see Çatal Höyök where the Great Goddess made her first appearance in 6500 BCE. Also see Ephesus and Aphrodisias, Ankara, Troy, and İstanbul.
< info (at) anatours (dot) com >
Tineke van Geel's Armenian Holiday specializes in tours to Armenia. On the tours she attaches great importance to a pleasant balance of travel time, sightseeing, relaxation, and getting to know the real Armenia by using the many contacts she has developed through the years. Tineke speaks Armenian fluently.
Tineke van Geel
8383 EH NIJENSLEEK
Tel and Fax: +31-521-380382
< tineke (at) armeniaholiday (dot) com >
Nancy Bolt is the State Librarian for Colorado. Nancy, along with Alex Palichev and Iskra Mahailovam, are the sponsors of Balkan Connections, which specializes in trips to Bulgaria, a country called the "undiscovered gem of Europe" because of its beauty and cultural history dating back 7,000 years. All trips include visits to ancient Neolithic and Thracian sites as well as Roman, Greek, and Turkish cultural heritage. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is tasty, and the shopping terrific. Balkan Connections trips include personal attention and are small enough to add new adventures when the opportunity arises.
Nancy Bolt, Colorado State Librarian
201 East Colfax, Denver, Colorado 80203
303 866 6733 phone
303 866 6940 fax
< nancybolt (at) earthlink (dot) net >
Balkan Folklore Study Tours
Delores Crawford offers tours that are mainly about villages, the architecture which changes from the mountain areas to the plains, the farmers and herders, the craftsmen who still carve wood, make pots, weave textiles, embroider clothing, and especially the people who still enjoy making music, dancing, and celebrating their customs.
11065 Collinwood Dr.
Santee, CA 92071-3106
Tel: (619) 562-5948
< delcraw4d (at) aol (dot) com >
Bulgarian Summer Tours
Iliana Bozhanova has organized tours in Bulgaria for her friends during the summer to the Koprivštica Folk Festival as well as to Sofia, Plovdiv, Kalipetrovo, Voivodinovo, Varna, Veliko Târnivo, Arbanasi, Kazanlak, Shipka, and Sheravana. Check out her website page for this year's tours.
Bulgarian Summer Tours
c/o Iliana Bozhanova
str. "Asen Hristoforov" 2 ap.63
4004 Plovdiv, BULGARIA
< iliana33 (at) hotmail (dot) com >
Cultural Folk Tours Bora Özkök offers tours to Turkey on which will take you to see the Ottoman Military Band in Istanbul, the spiritual Whirling Dervish ceremony in Cappadocia, native folk dancing, a live gypsy orchestra, and much more.
9920 Scripps Lake Dr., Suite 105
San Diego, CA 92131
Tel: (800) 935-8875 or (858) 566-5951
< tourinfo (at) boraozkok (dot) com >
Tineke Van Geel's Tours
Tineke van Geel has been a folklore dance teacher since 1975 and has studied dance in Armenia. Since 1997 she has organized tours to Armenia, Bali, Great Britain, The Netherlands, and Switzerland.
Tineke van Geel
8383 EH NIJENSLEEK
Tel and Fax: +31-521-380382
< info (at) tinekevangeel (dot) nl >
Dance on the Water Cruises
David & Marija Hillis offer one or more cruises a year for dancers that include evening folk dance sessions and sometimes with afternoon folk dance classes by teachers such as Eser Ayanoglu, Roberto Bagnoli, Irvin and Beverly Barr, Jimmy Drury, Richard Duree, David Edery, Al Gladstone, Denise Heenan, Ercüment Kılıç, Dean and Nancy Linscott, Mars & Sanna Longdon, Dick Oakes, Lee Otterholt, Pat and Hugo Presnall, Mikki Revenaugh, Olga Sandolowich, Burt Scholin, Sheila Sharpe, Alex and Edie Spear, Sandy Starkman, and Marianne Taylor. Some cruises have lectures by professional naturalists, professors, historians, oceanographers, geologists, and anthropologists, as well as dancing with native groups and local folk dance groups in port. Of course, there's always the cruise food that is worth going for in the first place! Destinations have included Alaska and Galapagos / Ecuador.
David and Marija Hillis
2147 Parker St.
Berkeley, CA 94704-2719
Tel: (510) 459-0092
Fax: (510) 581-5026
< folkdanceonthewater (at) gmail (dot) com >
Folklore Treasures of Serbia
Cheryl Spasojevic leads a two-week tour of adventure in August to the heart of Serbia that includes a three-day folk dance camp, folk festivals, music, ethnographics, folk art, village museums, traditional crafts, village life, celebrations, monasteries, and historical sites.
Folklore Treasures of Serbia
17626 68th Ave. West
Edmonds, WA 98026-5636
After March 2:
34240 Z.P. Knic
< cspaso (at) eunet (dot) yu >
Tayyar Akdeniz, choreographer, performer, musician, and teacher, was born in Kars, Turkey, and raised in Ankara where he began performing as a child, touring with Romany (Gypsy) ensembles. Tayyar learned, performed, and taught hundreds of Turkish folk dances for National folk dance associations in Turkey. His fifth hat is that as a promoter, which he does through Folktours, a corporation that offers educational and entertaining music and dance events in the United States and in Turkey. Their goal is to use music and dance to build bridges between countries and cultures. They want to educate, enlighten and inspire students of all ages, genders, creeds, and ethnic backgrounds. They also provide tours of Turkey with a special emphasis on seeing the sights, learning the history, and experiencing the culture.
M.E.D. Folk Tours Inc.
45-54 39th Place Suite 2 C
Sunnyside, NY 11104
< info (at) folktours (dot) com >
Tel: (301) 565-8891 Ext. 3
Jim Gold Folk Tours
Jim Gold brings his love of people, music, languages, humor, literature, old cultures, and new discoveries to his tours to Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Czech Republic, Sicily, Israel, Slovakia, and Tunisia. You'll enjoy his small groups, personal attention, visits to villages, festivals, museums, concerts, and folkloric performances. You'll meet people, and dance, sing, dine, and converse with them. And, as you explore their history, art and culture, your perspective will expand.
Jim Gold Folk Tours
497 Cumberland Ave.
Teaneck, NJ 07666-2650
Tel: (201) 836-0362
Fax: (201) 836-8307
< jimgold (at) jimgold (dot) com >
Turkish Mystic Cultural Tours
Latif Bolat knows that the Middle East (and especially Turkey) has been the cradle of many wonderful civilizations over the past the thousand years. From Urartus to Hittites, from Lydians to Ottomans, the land of Anatolia has been hosting wonderful treasures and they are waiting to be discovered. In his tours, Latif gives you a little taste of each culture by visiting monuments, cities, and places that once hosted very elaborate societies.
Turkish Mystic Cultural Tours
28 Camino Tetzcoco
Santa Fe, NM 87508-8913
Tel: (505) 995-1904
< lbolat (at) aol (dot) com >
- Bekalut Israeli Folk Dance Videos A whole lot of 'em!
- Digital Video Research Archive of Morris, Sword, and Clog Dancing Boston University. English and American performances from 1975 to the present.
- Dunav Folk Dance Videos Folk dance videos danced by Dunav.
- Folkdance Music Many videos!
- Rikudim Videos Many Israeli folk dance videos.
- YouTube Folk Dance Videos Hundreds of YouTube videow by Seymour Schlien.
OTHER FOLK DANCE LINKS
- Animated Folk Dance GIFs Naohisa Hamada [MARUCHO] created dozens of absolutely amazing animated folk dancers, one of which is shown above!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Albuquerque International Folk Dance Foundation Albuquerque, New Mexico. A friendly group that opens its arms to whoever is willing to walk in the door and give folk dancing a try!
- Art Kitchen Los Angeles, California. Leonard Ellis' smorgasbord of music, painting, poetry, dance, storytelling, animation, quotes, and humor.
- Balkanfolk Sofia, Bulgaria. An online shop for folklore music, Bulgarian traditional instruments and costumes, souvenirs, books, and more.
- Beaver Folk Dancing Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A recreational, international folk dance group open to everyone, beginners and advanced alike.
- Berkeley Folk Dancers Berkeley, California. A group of people of all ages who enjoy doing a great variety of folk dances.
- Bob Radcliffe's IFD Westchester, New York. A site to share Bob's love of international folk dancing and music.
- Bob's Dance and Music Los Angeles, California. Bob Harmon's site devoted to dance and music in and around L.A.
- Tom Bozigian Los Angeles, California. Tom teaches weekly classes in Armenian dance in southern California and plays music with his trio of folk musicians.
- Café AMAN Los Angeles, California. Mady Taylor and Ian Price invite you to atch the sprit of the old folk dance Cafés!
- Café Asteria Los Angeles, California. A Greek dance group led by Anne Sirota.
- Center for Traditional Music and Dance New York, New York. CTMD assists New York City's immigrant communities to preserve the vitality of their distinctive performing arts traditions.
- Chereshnitsa Dayton, Ohio. John Pappas (the Dayton one) has a lot of Macedonian info here.
- Christy Lane Enterprises Palm Springs, California. Christy shares her message of wellness through movement.
- Claddagh Dance Company Ventura, California. Information about Irish dance, dance classes, dance performances, and how you can enjoy Irish dance.
- Columbus Folk Dancers Columbus, Ohio. Line, circle, and couple dances from Albania, Bulgaria, England, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Romania, Sweden, Turkey, and elsewhere.
- Country Dance New York, Inc. New York, New York. CDNY's always live and always exciting music reflects the music of America.
- Dance Notation Bureau New York, New York. The DNB advances the art of dance through the use of a system of notation.
- DanceTutor.com Unknown Location. Over 400 video instructional pages is free!
- Dancing Fredda New York, New York. Fred Seidenbaum can give you a jump start in zydeco and Cajun dance, teach you the latest steps, or make your good moves great.
- Dunav Jerusalem, Israel. A non-profit organization, founded iby the Balkan dancers in Jerusalem to continue a long tradition of Thursday night folk dancing.
- East European Folklife Center Berkeley, California. The EEFC's mission is to promote, celebrate, and educate the public about traditional music, dance, and cultures of the Balkans.
- Eau Claire International Folk Dancers Eau Claire, Wisconsin. A recreational international dance group to dance the dances of many lands.
- Eliznik Web Pages London, England. Liz Mellish and Nick Green's site of the music, costume, and traditions centering on Romania and Bulgaria
- El Paso International Folk Dancers El Paso, Texas. The group's dances include circle dances, line dances, partner dances, and mixers.
- Helene Eriksen Göttingen, Germany. Helene is a teacher and choreographer of traditional dances of the Balkans and Islamic Orient.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago Chicago, Illinois. Exercise your body and your mind; celebrate America's ethnic heritage in dance and music.
- Ethnic Dance Chicago Workshop Dance Teachers Chicago, Illinois. EDC's list of workshop dance teachers and resource links.
- Ethnic Express International Folkdancing Club of Las Vegas, Nevada. Las Vegas, Nevada. The group does dances from all over the world.
- Evansville International Folk Dancers Evansville, Indiana. A recreational folk dance group located in southern Indiana.
- Folk Dance Australia Sydney, Australia. FDA promotes the development of folk dance in Australia.
- Folk Dancers of Ottawa Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. A non-profit group for the support and preservation of recreational folk dancing in the Ottawa-Hull area.
- Friday Night L.I.F.E. Los Angeles, California. Sherry Cochran's international folk dancing in the City Of Angels.
- Glossary of Dance Terms Jim Battisson's 2009 offering of terms for international folk dancers, especially in Australia.
- Grapevine International Folk Dancers Manhattan, Kansas; Wichita, Kansas; Sarasota, Florida. Dances from around the world with a focus on East and West European and Middle Eastern plus American.
- Greek Dancing NYC New York, New York. Dancing your favorites from all regions of Greece.
- Hugo's Folk Dancing Pages Kleefield, Manitoba, Canada. Hugo Moule's site with many easy folk dances notated.
- International Folk Dance in Cleveland Cleveland, Ohio. Most dances are line or circle dances (no partner) but the group also does partner dances.
- International Folk Dancers of Cincinnati Cincinnati, Ohio. Learn dances from Bulgaria, Armenia, Croatia, Macedonia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Palestine, Russia, Turkey, Poland, Serbia, Syria, and other countries!.
- International Folk Dancing in Coos Bay, Oregon Coos Bay, Oregon. Stacy Rose teaches dances from all around the globe.
- International Folk Dancing in New Mexico New Mexico. information about international folk dance groups throughout the state of New Mexico.
- Israeli and International Dance San Jose, California. Loui Tucker's site with special events, dance background, tips and tricks, dance writings, and more.
- Israeli Dance Australia Sydney, Australia. Search for dances, translations, choreographers, singers, composers, and lyricists.
- Israeli Folk Dance with Meliss Meliss Jakubović's site includes photos of Israeli dance choreographers.
- Izvor Music David Bilides' balkan folk music, focusing primarily on Macedonian folk music in the izvorno tradition.
- John Clement's Page This science teacher has several articles of interest to folk dancers.
- Kypseli Greek Dance Center Pasadena, California. If you like Greek music, check out their CDs.
- LA DanceFit Studio Café Asteria, Café AMAN, and L.I.F.E. Balkan Dancers meet here.
- Laguna Folk Dancers Laguna Beach, California. An international folk dance club of friendly people, great teachers, fun dances, good exercise, and great music.
- Laguna Woods Folk-Dancers Laguna Woods, California. Lee Otterholt's group of international folk dancing.
- L.I.F.E. Balkan Dancers Sherry Cochran's folk dance happening.
- Kathy Lin International Folk Dance Missasauga, Ontario, Canada: Much information on international folk dancing.
- Mesilla Valley International Folk Dancers Las Cruces, New Mexico. Recreational folk dancing and request dancing.
- Miami Valley Folk Dancers Dayton, Ohio. MVFD is a recreational international folk dance group.
- MIT Folk Dance Club Massachusetts Institute of Technology's folk dance site.
- MIT Folk Dance Club Songbook Massachusetts Institute of Technology's folk dance songbook.
- Nashville International Folk Dancers Nashville, TN. No partners or previous experience necessary.
- Ottawa Contra Dance Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Dances feature fabulous live contra dance music and calling from the Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and New England regions.
- Pasadena Folk Dance Co-op Pasadena, California. An international folk dance group teaching old and new dances.
- Phoenix International Folk Dancers Phoenix, Arizona. Get out, get active, add movement, music, culture, and fun to your evening!
- Princeton New Jersey Folk Dance Princeton, New Jersey. Beginners are welcome! Old pros are venerated!
- Recreational Folk Dancers of Columbus Columbus, Ohio. Line, circle, and couple dances come from Albania, Bulgaria, England, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Romania, Sweden, Turkey, and elsewhere..
- Skandia Folkdance Society Seattle, Washington. A non-profit, educational, and cultural organization founded for the preservation and teaching of traditional dance, culture. and music of the Nordic lands.
- Seattle Balkan Dancers Seattle, Washington. The group offers an opportunity to expand cultural horizons, meet people, be part of a community, volunteer for special events, and dance!
- Society of Folk Dance Historians San Antonio, Texas. Ron Houston's SFDH collects, preserves, and disseminates information about the history and practice of recreational international folk dancing.
- South Bend Folk Dancers South Bend, Indiana. A recreational and social dance group.
- South Slavic Club Dayton, Ohio. Maintains and enjoys the cultures of the area historically associated with the South Slavs.
- Teacher Biographies Aurora, Colorado. A listing of the Master Folk Dance Teachers of the U.S.A.
- Vancouver International Folk Dancers Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. This group meets Mondays from September through April.
- Veselo Selo Folk Dancers Anaheim, California. A fun group of folk dancers! Beginners always welcome.
TO THE TOP