Folk Dance Camps
Compiled by Dick Oakes
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Camp names are linked to their respective websites. Happy Dancing! ~Dick Oakes
- Dance Gypsy Listing of contra dance camps.
- United States Camps and Workshops See the National Folk Organization's Camps and Workshops page for United States Listings.
- Balkanfolk Folk Dance, Music, and Singing Seminar "Balkanfolk seminar (workshop) is a meeting of participants from all the continents. It is held in Bankya, 15 km away from the capital of Bulgaria, Sofia. The participants learn Balkan folklore dances, musical instruments (gaida, gadulka, tambura, tapan, kaval, accordion), Bulgarian language and folklore singing. Teachers: Emil Genov – Bulgarian folk dances, Marius Ursu – Romanian folk dances, and Vladimir Mutavdžić – Serbian folk dances."
- Gennetines: Les Grands Bals de l'Europe "On ten dance floors you will be able to discover, dance, learn, or practice many dances of Europe. There may be between 50 and 300 participants in a workshop. Everyone will have their own approach, background, priorities and dreams; everyone should be able to find an appropriate level at which to participate."
- Macdonian Pearl Folk Seminar This seminar is held in Struga on the shores of Lake Ohrid in July under the direction of Goran Alacki, master accordionist, and Ljupco Manevski, dance director of Tanec. There are beginning and advanced levels of Macedonian dance and a special choreography class for advanced students. In music, there are teachers of accordion, kaval, gaida, zurla, tapan, darbouka, and clarinet. In addition, there are nightly dance parties, classes in Macedonian language, daily lectures on the costumes, culture,history, and handcrafts of Macedonia. Plus, there is a boat trip with music and singing to see the ancient church of Sveta Naum. Accommodations are in the Hotel Biser at Struga and all dance classes are held in a studio with a wood floor.