You need to have an emergency plan and kit for your pets. Red cross shelters cannot accept pets because of state health and safety regulations. Only service animals are allowed in the shelters. Safe places to keep your pets are
- Hotels and motels outside or your immediate area that accept pets.
- Homes of friends and relatives outside of the area.
- Boarding facilities, veterinarians, or local animal shelters as a last resort.
Keep 24-hour phone numbers with your 72-Hour Kit for your pets.
Include these items in the disaster supply kit for your pet:
- Medical records.
- Pet first aid kit with first aid manual.
- Carrier and/or sturdy leash or harness.
- Food and can opener.
- Potable water.
- Large capacity self-feeder and water dispenser).
- Cat litter pan, scoop, and plastic bags for waste disposal.
Remember to evacuate your pets when you leave!