Compiled by Dick Oakes
Before High Winds
- Survey your property. Take note of materials stored, placed, or used, which could become missiles and destroy other structures or be destroyed. Devise methods of securing these items where they will still be accessible for day-to-day needs.
- Keep radio and/or television on and monitor for wind advisories.
- If possible, board up, tape, or shutter all windows, but leave some ventilation.
- Store water in case water service is interrupted.
- Have a supply of flashlights, spare batteries, candles, matches, first aid equipment, medicines, etc. available for use.
- Secure outdoor furniture, trash cans, tools, etc.
During High Winds
- Take shelter in hallways and closets; avoid windows.
- Stay out of areas where flying objects may destroy your place of refuge.
After Winds Subside
- Inspect for structural damage.
- Check all utilities for damage and proper operation.
- Monitor radio and television for instructions from local leaders.
- Stay calm; don't panic.