Emergency Control of Natural Gas
- Check your house piping, appliances, and vents for damage.
- Check for fires or fire hazards.
- Do not use matches, lighters, or other open flames.
- Do not operate electrical switches, appliances, or battery-operated devices if you suspect natural gas leaks. This could create sparks that could ignite gas from broken lines.
- If gas line breakage is suspected, shut off the gas at the meter.
- Turn off utilities only if you suspect the lines are damaged or if instructed to do so.
- Turning off the gas will require a professional to turn it back on.
- Wear heavy shoes in all areas near broken glass or debris.
- Keep your head and face protected from falling debris.
- Do not use your telephone exept in extreme emergency situations.
- If no gas leaks are found, turn on a battery-operated radio or a car radio to receive disaster instructions.