People with disabilities should take extra precautions when preparing for a disaster. One of the most important things you can do is have a buddy, someone who can help you evacuate and take care of you. During an emergency, your usual care giver may not be able to help you. Make sure your buddy knows how to operate any medical equipment you use.
People with disabilities and special needs may require:
- Prescription medications and a record of when and how much of the medicine should be received.
- Prosthetic devices.
- List of style and serial numbers of medical devices.
- Extra eye glasses and a record of the prescription.
- Emergency medical certification.
- Extra oxygen.
- Extra pillows and bedding.
- Medical insurance and Medicare cards.
- Back-up power supplies or generators for heat or air conditioning.
- Extra wheelchair batteries.
- Hearing aids and batteries.